NTUA, the National Technical University of Athens, Greece participated in 3D-ICONS with its Image, Video and Intelligent Multimedia Systems Lab to provide technical expertise.
The Image, Video and Intelligent Multimedia Systems Lab (IVML, ) was established in 1988, as one of the Laboratories of the School of Computer and Electrical Engineering and of the Institute of Computer and Communication Systems (ICCS) of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) in Greece. The members of the Lab (which are about 35, including research scientists, researchers, Ph.D students, programmers, and supporting staff) are active members of the research community having published more than 100 journal articles and 200 international conference contributions.
The most important areas of R&D activities performed or supported by IVML include:
- Knowledge based technologies
- Semantic Web technologies and knowledge representation
- XML, RDFS, OWL, SPARQL and SKOS technologies
- Content-based semantic multimedia content search and retrieval
- Interoperability and access to cultural content
- MPEG-7 , MPEG-21 standards and Semantic Web technologies
- Intelligent Human Computer Interaction and Intelligent agents
- Face, Emotion and Biometric Analysis and Recognition
- MPEG-4 and Natural – Synthetic Hybrid Coding, Augmented Reality.
- WEB 2.0 Technologies (Ajaz, RIA)
IVML has been involved in ninety R&D projects. Half of them have been funded by the European Commission and the rest by Greek organisations. Seventy five of them have been completed, while fifteen are in progress. In particular:
IVML participates in the design and implementation of intelligent semantic analysis and retrieval of multimedia content, following the MPEG (4,7,21) and Semantic Web standards (being a member of W3C). The leader of the Lab, Prof. Stefanos Kollias has been one of the experts that the EC has used for defining the framework of ‘Semantic Content Analysis’ and its perspective for 2012. He has been a member of the EC ‘Interoperability Group’ on Digital Libraries in 2006-2007. He is National Representative of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture since 2004, participating in the NRG up to 2006 and to the EC Expert Group on DL since then, the EDLnet, the Minerva-ec and the Michael plus projects. He is co-organising the Workshop on “Semantic Interoperability in the European Digital Library” in the European Semantic Web Conference, Tenerife, June 2008.